THE GIST OF IT: VEGETARIAN RAMEN
- Heat 2000ml of water to 150F
- Add 20g of your favorite style of kombu
- Cover the pan with a lid. Turn the heat off. Wait an hour.
- For shiitake pickles (optional): Add some whole dried shiitake mushrooms and let hydrate for a half hour. Remove and pickle.
- Discard kombu or use in salads or whatnot
Two to three onions, depending on size
- A leek
- Three ribs of celery, two for the broth and one to eat with peanut butter while cooking
- A parsnip sized parsnip
- Let's call it 4 cloves of garlic
- A two inch chunk of ginger
- Half a large fennel bulb, all of a not large one
- Peppercorns, white is more traditionaller
- Handful of dried shiitake mushrooms
- A quarter cup of popcorn kernels
- 2000ml kombu dashi
Slice one onion and either half or all of the fennel (follow your heart here) and caramelize in a heavy bottomed pan in a good amount of oil and butter (we want that fat to work its way into the broth). Dice the remaining veg and add that to the pot, stirring regularly. After about ten minutes add the mushrooms, peppercorns, and kombu dashi. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, plop a lid on it and simmer for an hour. Pop the popcorn and add that to the broth. Let that infuse for 5 minutes then strain the whole thing. Add a dash of MSG and some salt (but not too much because a lot more salt is on the way with the taré).
- 1 apple
- 1/2 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 rib celery
- 1/2 cup sake
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- Miso of your choosing
Dice and sauté the first four ingredients over medium-high heat, stirring regularly, allowing them to pick up some color. After 20 minutes, deglaze with the sake and mirin, add a cup of water, cover and let simmer until broth is done. About an hour. Strain and stir in miso until the mixture is just a tad too salty (2-3 heaping tablespoons should do).
Prior to putting this all together make sure you have all your desired toppings ready to go. The last step is to cook the noodles (which should take about 4 minutes for the frozen variety or 2 minutes for fresh or pre-soaked ramenized pasta). In a large soup bowl, place tare and then broth in a ratio of approximately 1:5. Add freshly drained but not rinsed al dente noodles. Arrange toppings. Slurp.