The GIST OF IT: APPLE CHEDDAR FRENCH TOAST
- Buy whatever you want. I prefer a more rustic sourdough.
- Thicker, 1 inch slices are best.
- Dry it out on a rack in a 200F oven.
Fake Anglaise because you're lazy and that's fine
One egg yolk is plenty for one person. Two is enough for three people. Probably.
- 1 part egg yolk (save the whites for cocktails)
- 2 parts plain, whole milk yogurt
- 2 parts whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
STEPS AND SUCH
- Pour the anglaise over the bread. Make sure it's soaked in thoroughly. Brown each side in a few tablespoons of canola oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Transfer to a wire rack set in a sheet pan while browning other slices
- Bake on said rack in an oven. The oven should be 450F ish.
- Take out when it's crispy. If it's burnt, you waited too long.
- Switch the oven to the broiler setting.
- Top with grated cheddar cheese and return to the oven until melted.
- Top with apple syrup thing.
Apple syrup thing
- Get a crisp apple. Not a mushy one. Get one apple for each person that is eating.
- Peel and core. Cut into irregular slices.
- Sauté in butter, in a pan, over medium heat until lightly browned.
- Add fresh grated nutmeg and cinnamon. Clove would work here too.
- For each apple, add two heaping tablespoons of brown sugar and 1/3 cup of water.
- Cook until the liquid is reduced to a syrup.
- Grate orange zest over it if you're feeling extra fancy.